Friday, April 30, 2010
Random Rant...
This video is insane. Are the girls good dancers? Yes. BUT THEY ARE 8-YEARS-OLD!! If my daughter wants to take dance, I am more than happy to sign her up, but the second I see a routine this provocative, I would have her off the stage in a heartbeat! What kind of message are the parents and dance instructors sending to these young girls? At lunch today, the teachers were talking about the way some of the 4th and 5th grade girls were dressing. The sad thing is, they don't buy their own clothes, their parents do. I know I should not point fingers at any parent, because I am not one; however, who let's their 12-year-old daughter out of the house with either a super short skirt and a tank top where you can see their bra and belly button, or super tight pants with their thongs hanging out over their jeans. I'm sorry, but those parents should not be surprised when they get a phone call in a few years that they're going to be grandparents! Call me a prude or old fashioned, but I hope to instill a sense of modesty and pride in my daughter's self-image so that she does not feel that she has to put everything she's got out there for the world to see (not that I would buy the type of clothes that shows all she's got anyway). It just blows my mind that people continue to wonder why there is such an increase in teen sex and pregnancy, when at age eight little girls are being taught that this is an appropriate way to dance and dress and if they do dance and dress this way they will win and succeed in life. Granted, this is an extreme video, but the lack of clothing in the 5th grade hall is a daily occurrence. Anyhoo...I'm finished ranting for now! I better go put on my shortest skirt and tightest, low cut shirt...we're having company over =)
***** For some reason the whole video isn't showing on the screen, I guess because it's a wide screen video...but you get the drift****
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm with you here. Our parents did such a good job, raising us to be strong and comfortable with ourselves for who we are. (Well, as comfortable as a confident young girl can be!) I am always bothered by the little girls' and teen girls' jeans with rhinestones and decorative stitching on the back pockets. Nobody needs to be pointing out a little girl's booty! I mean, I'm all about teaching positive body image, but things go a little too far these days.
great blog.. !!!
visit me @
http://yusri-outsider.blogspot.com
http://www.fk-unhas.co.ccre
Post a Comment