Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Closet of Shame...

*** Brace yourself. These pictures are crazy! And on a side note- this is no reflection of the rest of our house. This what just where we hide everything =)

One of my "resolutions" for 2011 is to become more organized and to do a better job staying on top of things around the house. Unfortunately, with a schedule like I had in 2010, I had little time to do anything, let alone keep our house spotless! My idea of cleaning up was taking whatever was laying around and putting it into the storage closet, also lovingly known as: Closet of Shame, Closet of No Return, No Man's Land, and a few other choice names for the disaster that was this closet. The closet happens to be our biggest storage area in the house, we desperately need all the storage space we can get because we are running out quickly. I did not have plans of cleaning the closet any time soon. I figured once I wasn't able to open the door, toss something in, pray I didn't hear glass shatter as the item landed on something else, kick the door closed with my foot as I ran away-I'd be fine. Well...today, I reached my breaking point. The closet was taunting me and telling what a terrible OCD organizer I was...so, I went to work. I stopped halfway through when our kitchen table and floor and couch were absolutely covered, and about had a panic attack of clutter. However, I powered through and cleaned it up! Now, I am no miracle worker. The majority of the stuff in the closet are things that we need and use fairly regularly, so it's not that I can just go on a throwing away rampage, and I certainly don't have anywhere else to put them, so the closet is still pretty full. However, it is a MILLION times better than before-I can see the floor! So, I now present with part pride, part humiliation...



Before
And After...

7 comments:

Erin said...

First, a compliment. You should be so proud! The CoS looks great!

Second, holy crap. I laughed out loud when I saw the befores. I am embarrassed for you!

Lastly, it looks lovely and I will be over soon to be sure you've maintained its beauty.

Jillian said...

I appreciate the compliment sandwhich =)

cindy glawson said...

WOW! Huge improvement and huge job! Now, do you want to come over and help me clean out "the pit"?

Pat said...

WOW!!! Good job!!! WHO is this cleaning wizard???? Sure wish I had kept pictures of your bedroom in MY house! LOL!

Trisha Jones said...

Way to go Jill!!! I did this in my kitchen last night until 11:15... it was worth the work because now it's spotless and beautiful, and sooooo easy to navigate!

Katie Jones said...

My two upstairs bedrooms currently look like a Hoarders episode. Literally - we're getting down to the 18" wide Walk of Shame trail up there. Unfortunately, my plan was to clean it out over Winter Break, but with two crazy sicko kids living here, that didn't happen. I have no time to clean that out in the foreseeable future. Anytime you want to come over and work on that, bring it on! You can have all the pride and none of the embarrassment!

Anonymous said...

Um, first thing that came to mind was..."is that a crockpot?"
Amazed on the versatility of that closet.

J1