Monday, September 21, 2009

The Retreat...



This weekend was our marriage retreat weekend with our NWEDS group in Gatlinburg, TN. Needless to say, it was AWESOME, just as expected! We are glad we got to go, however, my uncle passed away on Thursday night and we got a call saying the service was going to be on Sunday at 5pm. Sooo...Greg did not want us to miss the retreat or the service so we got up and ate breakfast with everyone on Sunday and then head to NC for the funeral, stayed for about 2 hours, and then headed home! We got home at about 2:30am... LOOOONG day/night!!! Back to the retreat...we had such a great time with everyone! We all got in pretty late on Friday, Greg and I got there around 11:30pm and there were several that came after us. We had about 10 couples this year so it was a nice sized group! On Saturday we woke up early to cook breakfast with the Mays...breakfast casseroles, chocolate chip and blueberry muffins, cinnamon rolls, and lots of fruit, yum! Similar to last year, we watched a DVD series called "Laugh Your Way To a Better Marriage" by Pastor Mark Gungor (last year we watched iMarriage...equally as awesome). We highly recommend this video to anyone (newlywed or not). It gave some fantastic advice and conversation starters for us. After our first two video sessions of the retreat, we all showered and headed to town together to shop around before the rain hit. It was SOO hard staying away from all the yummy fudge and candies...but I stuck to the diet all weekend! Once it started to rain we headed back to the house for dinner and another session and then we split into guys/girls groups and discussed the video and all kinds of things. It was pretty cool because every single wife there is a teacher, so it was really interesting for me to hear all of what's going on with them at home and in the classroom. We woke up early Sunday and enjoyed a fantastic breakfast with everyone and then we hit the road and headed to NC. All the driving made for a long day but it we enjoyed having all that time together and we alos enjoyed seeing my family (despite the circumstances). Here a few pics from the weekend...

Our yummy breakfast


The wives in town (a few aren't pictured...they were out shopping)


The hubsbands (again...missing a few that are with their wives)




I loved all the fall scenes set up around town!!

4 comments:

cindy glawson said...

I love the last picture. Very cute. Sounds like a fun weekend in Gatlinburg and I am so happy that it worked out that you could still make it to the service for Cal.

Pat said...

Ya'll are crazy kids!!! TOO much driving!!! We love you both! Glad you had a great time at the retreat...I want to get back to Gatlinburg soon!

Kristin said...

I'm so jealous we didn't get to go!! Looks awesome as ever!

leah said...

I'm so glad you guys were able to go and had such a great time. Kyle and I should rent some of those dvds they sound great!! Love the pics with the pumpkins... makes me so excited that fall is here!!!