Thursday, November 13, 2008

Being thankful...

Day 13



With it being near Thanksgiving and all it seems so appropriate to start thinking about all of the things you should be thankful for. However, it is not the upcoming holiday that has placed this on my heart but rather the past few sermons at church and just events going on in our economy and our community. Lately, our sermons have been about being "content" with life and having "godly discontentment" meaning that nothing else should matter to you besides God. I'm really working on that. But the being content part really got to me. Our pastor was giving examples such as if you're single you want to be married, once you are married you want kids, once you have kids you want to be empty nesters and have grandchildren...etc etc. And I think everyone feel this way to some extent...whether you have a job but are looking forward to a promotion or finding something else, you have a kid but are looking forward to the next...so on. And not saying that you can't or that you are not "supposed" to look forward to those things, we should just learn to stop and appreciate what we already have. So many things have happened to friends, family, and perfect strangers that have made me stop and think and then thank God for blessing Greg and I the way that He has. For example, we were planning on working at the soup kitchen on Thanksgiving but there were not any volunteer spots left, so instead we are going to contribute a lot to the food drive at our church. While I was checking out at the grocery store, the person bagging the groceries asked why I was getting so much macaroni and cheese and canned goods...I told him about the food drive we were contributing to and the cashier stop scanning the next item and said very sincerely, "Thank you so much! You have no idea how much you are helping...my husband has been out of work for a while and I have been in and out the hospital with health problems and we've had to rely on our church's food drive to provide for my family." This really made me think, you never know who's life your going to affect by just helping out a little. And then it made be think some more about how I needed to be content with my life because God has given me so much...a WONDERFUL husband, a fantastic family, a job, the opportunity to get a college education, and SOO much more! But anyhoo...just thought I'd share...now I am going to bed! And PS- ONE CLASS DOWN WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!

1 comment:

Pat said...

Yea you are extremely blessed! And I am so glad you recognize it! I love you both!